Padwali roti or 2-layer roti are popular among Gujratis during summer. Padwali roti means, two roti balls rolled and cooked together. The historical reason for the invention was, that it is difficult to make lots of roti during hot summer days in Gujrat as there were no fans or AC in the early days. Two Layer Roti is an easy and quick way to make two Rotis in a single roll
Padwali Rotis are roasted on Tawa only and not cooked on the open flame. Pair padwali roti with aamras, Fajeto, Kaju Karela nu shaak (cashew bitter gourd stir-fry), and rice to enjoy a typical Gujrati summer meal. Also known as ‘Ras – puri’ meal or ‘Ras-puri’ ni thaali.
Padwali roti or Gujrati 2 layer roti
- 1 1/2 cup Wheat flour I used Kazana organic wheat flour
- 2/3 cup Water Plus 1 tbsp if needed, Adjust according to your preference
- Salt to taste
- 2 + 1 tsp Oil
- Wheat flour for rolling, dusting and sprinkling
- Oil for applying on the dough balls
- Ghee for applying
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixture, add 1 1/2 cup wheat flour, salt and 2 teaspoon oil and mix it well.
- Take 2/3 cup water and little at a time and make a sticky dough.
- Cover the dough with wet cloth and rest for 15 minutes. This step is optional. If you let the dought rest here, that mixes dough better.
- Now apply oil on palm and take the dough on working surface and apply 1 teaspoon oil to it and knead the dough for 2-3 minutes.
- Make 10-12 equal sized small balls, roll in wheat flour, flatten using your palms, and put it on working surface.
- Brush oil on the flatten dough balls and sprinkle some wheat flour. This step is important as it makes sure that your roti do not stick to each other.
- Now stick two dough balls surface together, press them slightly and make them flattener.
- Heat the griddle on medium flame.
- Roll the flattener ball using dusting flour and roll gently into thin roti.
- Place the rolled roti on the hot griddle. Cook it for 1/2 minute or till you see light brown spots on it.
- Turn the roti and slightly roast using cotton cloth or tissue for 1/2 to 1 minute. This tep will help rotis seprate easily.
- Remove the roti from griddle and start seprating them. Be careful here as the rotis might have gathered hot air in the pocket.
- Apply lots of ghee on the inner side and pair this padwali roti with you favorite summer meal.
- I served it with kaju karela nu shaak, moong dal, aam ras, rice and fajeto.