Phirni\firni is thick creamy rice pudding served cold. Phirni is famous in north India during festivals. I added mango flavor to add a summer vibe to it. Phirni\firni is normally served cold.
Slow cooking is the key to making perfect phirni. The simple phirni is made with a few basic ingredients like milk, grounded rice, and sugar. Cardamom powder, saffron, rose water, etc are added to enhance the flavors. Traditionally, phirni is served in earthen pots called kullad or matka. These pots absorb extra moisture.
Difference between Rice Kheer and phirni?
While both of them have the same ingredients rice kheer is made from whole rice grains and phirni is made from grounded rice
Can I make this recipe vegan?
While I haven’t tested it out but I don’t see any harm in replacing the milk with your choice of milk.
- 1/4 cup Rice I prefer basmati rice
- 1 cup Water for soaking
- 2 tsp Water for grinding
- 2 cups Milk I used whole milk but you can also use dairy free or any other milk of your choice
- 4 tbsp Sugar adjust according to your taste
- 1 cup Mango puree fresh or canned and unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder optional
- 1 tsp Mango chunk for garnishing
- Pistachio silvered for garnishin
- Take 1/4 cup rice and rinse thoroughly until you see clear water
- Now soak rice into 1 cup water for 30minutes
- When it is about 30 minutes, put a pan on medium heat and add 2 cups milk to it.
- Now drain all the water from rice using strainer.
- Grind to a semi-fine paste. If needed add 1-2 teapoons of water.
- When the milk comes to a boil. Then lower the heat and add grounded rice and 4 tablespoons of sugar to it. Adjust sweetness according to taste.
- Keep stirring continously otherwise rice will start sticking to bottom or start creating lumps
- Cook it for 5-7 minutes or till rice is cooked
- Turn off the heat and add 1 cup mango puree to it
- Add 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder. This step is optional.
- Now transfer firni mixture to serving bowls, pat the bowl on the surface to remove air bubbles and set aside
- When the mixture comes to room temperature, cover the bowls with cling wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours or overnight
- Garnish phirni with pistachio silvered, mango chunks and serve cold