Kaju karela nu shaak is also known as Bittermelon\ bitter gourd and cashew stir-fry
This stir-fry has so many of my summer memories associated with it. At every summer wedding or small gathering, this curry will definitely appeaKaju karela nu shaak or Cashew and bitter gourd stir-fry. This dry subji has so many of my summer memories associated with it. At every summer wedding or small gathering, this curry will definitely appear. As the name says this subji has two main ingredients bittermelon and cashew.
This curry would usually be served with aam ras or mango delight or mango cream salad to balance the bitter taste.
Kaju karela nu shaak
- 4-5 Medium sized Karela or bitter gourd or bittermelon peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup cashew halved
- Oil for frying
- 2 tsp salt for sprinkling
- 1 tsp chillipowder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp cashew or peanut crushed
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp jaggery powder adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
- Peel bittermelons skin. This step is optional. I personally remove some skin and keep some to reduce the bitterness.
- Slice bittermelon in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and pulp.
- Transfer bittermelon slices to a small bowl, sprinkle 2 teaspoons of salt and set aside for 20 minutes.
- When it is about 20 minutes, prepare oil for frying on medium heat.
- Now press few slices of bittermelon between two palms and remove excess water. Repeat it for all remaining bittermelon.
- Carefully transfer bittermelon to oil for frying. Fry till golden brown. Transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Deep fry 1/2 cup cashews till golden brown. Transfer it to the same mixing bowl with bittermelon.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/2 tablespoon crushed cashew or peanut, 1/4 teaspoon garam masala, and salt to taste. Give it a good mix.
- Now add 1 tablespoon jaggry powder. This step is optional or adjust according to your taste.
- Garnish it with cilantro and serve with roti and aamras.